Credit unions need young adults, and young adults need credit unions. Nowhere is this more clear than from the financial headlines that have documented many lenders’ speedy withdrawal from the student loan business. Many student lenders, including some of the largest, have begun to pull back from lending to community college students. More than 40%—6.2 million out of 14.8 million—of American undergraduates attend community colleges. Even though secondary market funding has dried up during the credit crunch, the consumer need remains.
- Student Loans: Credit Union Opportunity During the Credit Crunch – Filene Research Institute Business Plan
- Credit Unions Boost College Loans – WSJ Article
- Equifax: Student Debt Up 27%, Credit At 5-Year High
- Survey: 50% Of High School Seniors Don’t Know Student Loan Costs
- SECU’s support of NC students through Loan Rehabilitation Program reaches $7 million!
- Average Student Loan Amount Up 11% In March